PREPARING YOUR RÉSUMÉ
When writing your résumé in preparation for work on “Super Yachts” please remember that we are looking for people who are domesticated and hands-on practical workers. We need crew who are prepared to work long hours, work hard, travel and expect little time off. Yachting can see you away from family and friends for long periods of time. So we are looking for committed crew.
If you are either a domestic goddess, mechanical genius, budding chef, great cook or just a people person who has a great work ethic with a natural aptitude for going the extra mile, we can help you.
Super Yachting is all about the attention to detail so you will need to prepare a professional résumé; essential, as this is the first step in gaining you the position you’ve been looking for. It’s the first impression the agent and client will have of you, so make it count! It must be neat and tidy. Ensure all the margins are aligned, fonts are the same size and type face and check your spelling. It should be two pages.
Tips on the content of your résumé:
- Photographs should show a good, clear head and shoulders shot. Men, you should be clean shaven, women to wear minimal makeup. Hair should be tidy. You should wear a smart shirt or polo shirt for deck/ interior, and chef’s whites for all those wanting to work in the galley. Keep a pleasant demeanour.
- Full name.
- Driving Licence.
- Nationality & passport details.
- Contact details: phone numbers and a dignified email address.
- Date of birth.
- Marital Status.
- Medical Certificate.
- Languages spoken (no need to write Afrikaans).
Professional profile content (objective or profile will be fine, not both):
A clear understanding of the position you seek – too many roles cloud your profile and make you look undecided. Be clear about the type and size of vessel you prefer. Tell us about what you have to offer including previous experiences. This is your chance to sell yourself.
List yacht and any other relevant qualifications e.g. nurse, mechanic, electrician, carpenter, beauty therapist, massage therapist, diver, tutor etc.
List your previous yacht experience:
- Start date
- End date
- Position held
- Private or charter
- Cruising program
- Detailed description of your role and what your duties included daily, how many crew you worked with or under, nationality of guests you have worked with, reasons for moving on.
List previous experience in areas other than yachting.
Tell us about your interests and hobbies.
Include a list of references and their contact details.
Please note if you are transferring from a commercial background, we need to see a more yacht friendly résumé than you may be familiar with. Example will guide you.